MOTIVATIONAL ART FOR THE CITY - CALL FOR ARTISTS
Morale isn’t great at the moment. The economy’s screwed, the weather topsy turvy and we’ve lost the footy and Wimbledon.
But when we started thinking about who really needs a helping hand at the moment, one group sprang to mind – those poor beleaguered bankers. Beset from all sides by criticism and contempt, each day they rise with the sun and travel to the office, where they’ll do a full day’s work, squeeze in some sushi at lunchtime, then head home with more money than most of us will earn in a month.
Don’t forget that while we pledged 101% of UK GDP to support the banks back in 2009, the square mile contributes only around 17% of GDP every single year, while getting a mauling from the press, the public and politicians day in, day out.
How can we motivate them to do better? Tax breaks don’t seem quite appropriate, so how about creating motivational art to spur them on? Sales of traditional motivational posters are on the rise (we can’t say exactly who’s buying them and don't really want to know), but if you see the examples below, you’ll understand immediately that this sort of work won’t impress your average thoughtful, erudite, sensitive banker.
We want you to create atwork that can be used to re-motivate the City boys and girls. To help you design your own motivational poster for harassed city workers, we’ve identified certain themes and suggested some slogans below, however, feel free to devise your own.
- Money is also the root of all happiness
- Size does matter (the London Stock Exchange is the largest in the world)
- 17% of UK GDP is dependent on you
- Protesting never reduced a deficit
- Keep calm and make more money
- There are 78 countries bigger than the UK, only six have bigger economies
- Without the City of London there wouldn’t be a city of London
- You might lose your job, your friends and your respectability, but you’ll never lose your bonus
- While the 1% Occupy the workplace, the other 99% have gone camping
- If all else fails, there’s always Switzerland
And here are some examples of the motivational posters the City won’t appreciate:
If you are feeling inspred to create a piece of artwork to re-inspire the City of London here's what you need to do:
1) Email us (lyle@DegreeArt.com) an image of the created work (feel free to run ideas past us first).
2) We will then select between 10 and 15 to have scanned and printed in print runs of limited editions of 25.
3) The prints will be priced at between £150 and £250 each. 10% of each sale will be donated to charity with the artist receiving 50% of the remaining sale price after VAT
4) The originals must be for sale on DegreeArt.com only and will be subject to our usual terms and conditions
DEADLINE: 27th July 2012